Monday, April 22, 2013

More ebook charts

In a previous post, I looked at the different genres that are succeeding in the ebook market and which are not. Now I read this interesting study by the PEW Research Center about ebooks. And look! They have graphs. I love graphs.


You can see that the category that still favors print books the most is the "reading with a child" category, which explains why picture books and possibly middle grade disappear from the ebook bestseller list.

This got me thinking about "enhanced" ebooks and apps and such. Maybe that 9% (where did the other 10% go?) really like using their tablets to read to kids.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized I'd never seen someone really read an ebook to their kid. Sometimes on the bus I see parents hand a kid an iPhone, so he or she can read. But in that case, the enhanced ebook isn't really taking the place of the picture book, it is taking the place of the parent.

Anyone else experienced this? Have you read an ebook to a child?

1 comment:

  1. Ms. Keyes,

    In answer to your question about reading ebooks to children, my older (9 y.o.) grandson's first question of me when he sees me or hears my voice on the phone is, "Do you have your Kindle with you, Gram'ma?" We're both addicted.

    I've read several MG novels to him via Kindle, and we're currently journeying through Jules Verne's TWENTY THOUSAND LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA. It's common for me to call him, put the phone on speaker, and read for 60-90 minutes.

    Since I write middle-grade and just epubbed my first novel this week, I was disappointed to see that stunted bar on the graph. I love the convenience of being able to say, "Yes, I have my Kindle with me."

    Thanks for asking.

    ReplyDelete