Thursday, February 16, 2012

Emily Keyes: What's In a Name?

I'm told it's kind of hard to find me online.

My name is pretty common, but also there is a more famous Emily Keyes. Sadly, she's known for being killed too young. Originally, when I started with Lori I was going by EK (which is how I sign my emails sometimes) because I'd hate for people searching for the charity inspired by the other Emily to find me instead and be frustrated. Taking away donations from a charity would be very bad karma points, I'm sure.

I have business cards that say ES Keyes. Unfortunately, those are my sister Elizabeth's initials as well so that confused my Mom. Plus, if someone yelled "ES!" on the street, I would not turn around.

I found a happy medium with my twitter handle @esc_key. I was raised Catholic and my Confirmation Name was Catherine (after St. Catherine of Siena). I used this initial to differentiate myself from my sister. Then I realized ESC KEY is a key on every keyboard. I loved it. Thought it was hilarious. (My Dad told me it was lame. What's he know?)

Escape. I'd love to escape sometimes. Wouldn't it be cool if we could just hit an ESC key and find ourselves somewhere else? (Maybe that is what books are for. Hmm. Will think more on this.)

So my blog name is officially ESCKeyes. (Someone already had the esc_key handle, darn them.)

... and now you know way too much about how I chose my blog name. But, hey, check out that charity if you get a chance.

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new move with Marisa! Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your twitter handle, both cool and clever if you ask me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was playing around with blog names, my husband suggested one using my initials: ARJ a'Bloggin. I snorted and promptly ignored his opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought your twitter handle is awesome! :) Made me giggle.

    ReplyDelete